4.3.3 Large Quantity Generator4.3.3 Large Quantity Generator
By regulation, facilities are categorized as Large Quantity Generators (LQG) if the facility generates 1000 kilograms ( 2,200 pounds) or more hazardous waste in a given calendar month. These facilities must:
Meet all Small Quantity Generator (SQG) requirements, in addition to the following requirements:
- Place all volatile organic wastes in containers less than 26 gallons in size or in an applicable DOT container.
- Inspect all hazardous waste containers for condition and leaks at least weekly.
- Ship all hazardous waste off site within 90 days of the date the waste was first placed into the RCRA 90 Day Storage Area.
- Develop a facility contingency plan for hazardous waste emergencies and ensure the presence of certain emergency equipment.
- Conduct employee training to ensure RCRA compliance and maintain training records.
- Maintain a 50-foot buffer zone from the facility boundary for container storage of ignitable or reactive wastes.