16.3 Lighting16.3 Lighting
Having a properly lighted work area is essential to working safely. A couple of key points to remember about proper lighting:
- Lighting should be adequate for safe illumination of all work areas (100-200 lumens for laboratories). For more information, see the CU Design and Construction Standard 26500 – Interior Lighting.
- Light bulbs that are mounted low and susceptible to contact should be guarded.
- If the risk of electrocution exists when changing light bulbs, practice lock-out tag-out.
- For proper disposal of "universal waste" fluorescent bulbs, see light bulb recycling.
- As an energy conservation measure, please remember to turn off your lights when you leave your lab.