6.0 Notifications6.0 Notifications
This section summarizes the notifications for building occupants, regulatory agencies, and contractor(s) regarding asbestos abatement projects. Building material labeling is covered within this section.
6.1 Building Occupant Notification6.1 Building Occupant Notification
- 6.1.1 In accordance with OSHA regulations, all mechanical spaces in pre-1980 buildings must be posted with information on the ACM and PACM that is found within the space. The Building Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring postings are maintained in accordance with Standard Operating Procedure HS16_ASB_SOP003 Asbestos Labeling.
- 6.1.2 The Asbestos Coordinator and asbestos abatement contractor are responsible for ensuring that notice is provided to residential and business occupants. The notice shall be posted to residential or business occupants of the building ten (10) calendar days prior to the commencement of large scale projects and three (3)calendar days prior to commencement of small and minor scale projects.
6.2 Regulatory Agency Notifications6.2 Regulatory Agency Notifications
- 6.2.1 NYS Department of Labor –asbestos abatement contractor contracted to engage in a large asbestos project shall notify, in writing, the Asbestos Control Bureau and include the appropriate nonrefundable fee.
- 6.2.2 National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) -The NESHAP regulation states that either the owner of the building or contractor of the demolition or renovation operation can submit the notification. Large (>160sqft and/or >260 linear ft) asbestos project require NESHAP notification for demolition or renovation of PACM, friable, and/or Category I & II non-friable that has/or can become friable.
- 6.2.3 The abatement contract shall contact the NY State Asbestos Control Bureau verbally or in-person to request approval to conduct emergency asbestos abatement. The contractor will follow-up with written notification within three days.
6.3 Contractor Notification6.3 Contractor Notification
- 6.3.1 Prior to arriving on campus to work, contractors will have been notified about the presence of asbestos containing materials through their contract documents which will give notice of the possibility of encountering asbestos containing materials. Contractors will ensure that all employees and subcontractors know of the possibility of encountering asbestos containing materials
6.4 Long Term Labeling Strategy6.4 Long Term Labeling Strategy
- 6.4.1 It is the long term strategy of the University to label known asbestos containing material where such labeling is feasible and beneficial to the building occupants. Labeling will be consistent with Standard Operating Procedure HS16_ASB_SOP003 Asbestos Labeling.