- Furniture and event setup must not block exits
- Adequate aisles must be maintained throughout the venue (minimum 42 inches wide)
- Doors must open easily and fully and may not be locked, blocked or obstructed in any way.
- Exit ways, signs and doors must be clear, visible and unobstructed at all times.
- Sound, lighting and other equipment must be properly secured so it does not fall and must not create a tripping hazard.
- Do not block or store materials in front of electrical panels, exits and doorways, fire alarms pull stations, hydrants and extinguishers, aisle ways, eyewash stations/showers, etc.
Exits and Corridors
- Exits, corridors, stairs and egress routes must remain clear and unobstructed at all times.
- Nothing may be set up in stairways, hallways, aisles, or exit routes.
Fire Detection equipment
- Never attach anything to fire protection equipment.
- Attention should be given to the location of the fire protection equipment including smoke detectors, sprinkler heads and piping, fire alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers.
- Smoke, dust, aerosols, fog/smoke machines, cooking and food preparation tasks, and physical contact can activate fire detection equipment.
- In the event of fire alarm activation, your event must stop and everyone must exit the venue.
- If there are any questions or concerns please contact EHS.
Outdoor Event Setup
- Outside exit paths and fire lanes must be kept clear at all times.
- Events that obstruct non-exit/fire lane pathways may be allowed after EHS review.
- Obstructed sidewalks must be barricaded at each end. Contact Cornell Grounds Department for barricades (Please note that there is a fee for this service).
- Due to the presence of underground utilities, stakes and posts that extend more than 6 inches into the ground require a utility location survey.
- Contact Cornell Customer Service at 607-255-5322 and request a utility location survey/stakeout to have the utility lines marked so stakes and posts are not driven into them (Please note that there is a fee for this service).
For further information e-mail or call 607-255-8200.