5.3.4 Fire or Explosion Emergency Procedures5.3.4 Fire or Explosion Emergency Procedures
All fires must be reported to Cornell Police, including those that have been extinguished. Do not hesitate to activate the fire alarm if you discover smoke or fire. Outlying facilities, all fires including those that have been extinguished, must be reported to Cornell EHS (607-255-8200). Consult the Emergency Action Guide for outlying facility site specific procedures.
- Alert people in the immediate area of the fire and evacuate the room.
- Confine the fire by closing doors as you leave the room.
- Initiate a full building evacuation by activating the closest fire alarm pull station as you are exiting the building.
- Notify Cornell Police of the location and size of the fire by calling 911 from a campus phone, or 607-255-1111 from a cell phone or off campus phone, or using a Blue Light or Emergency Telephone. Always call from a safe location.
- Evacuate the building using the Emergency Evacuation Procedure. Do not use elevators to evacuate unless directed to do so by emergency responders.
- Notify emergency responders of the location, nature and size of the fire once you are outside.
If you have been trained and it is safe to do so, you may attempt to extinguish the fire with a portable fire extinguisher. Attempt to extinguish only small fires and make sure you have a clear escape path. If you have not been trained to use a fire extinguisher you must evacuate the area.
If clothing is on fire:
- Stop - Drop to the ground or floor and Roll to smother flames.
- Drench with water from a safety shower or other source.
- Seek medical attention for all burns and injuries.