Flu Planning Checklist For Event & Program Coordinators
This information is provided to guide event and program coordinators preparing for campus events. Event organizers, program planners, and facility managers should be informed of the facts seasonal influenza, and be aware of Cornell’s efforts to protect the health and safety of the Cornell community, and its commitment to prevention measures. The following requirements must be met when planning an event to be held on the Ithaca campus.
General Flu Prevention Awareness
Keep participants informed about flu prevention methods.
- Include links to campus flu information web sites in your event info packets and on your web site
- Print and post some of the posters and tip sheets from the above web sites
- Encourage participants to stay home if they are ill
- Inform participants of the locations of restrooms and hand washing stations
These guidelines apply to all food service, including carryout and delivery foods.
- Provide alcohol-based sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) in food serving and dining areas. These could be units available on individual tables, in the food line, or stationed in easily accessible areas within the dining area.
- Cornell Environmental Health and Safety has hand sanitizer stations for loan.
- For more information, call (607) 254-1934 or e-mail EHS UUP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eliminate large self-serve bowls of items like pretzels and chips. Provide single serving packages or pre-filled single serving bowls instead.
- Food service areas must have bakery tissue available that patrons can use to handle common use objects such as tongs, coffee dispensers, or food items (e.g., cookies, muffins).
- Event setup should minimize the proximity of food to the flow of pedestrian traffic.
General Hygiene and Sanitation
- Encourage hand washing and use of hand sanitizers.
- Avoid the use of games and activities that use shared equipment or surfaces such as inflatable games, shared helmets, etc.
- Use disinfectants to periodically wipe down shared use equipment and surfaces.
- Refer to EPA web site for information regarding disinfectants.
For further information e-mail EHS UUP at email@example.com or call (607) 255-8200.