Fireplaces in Campus Buildings:
- Not all fireplaces in campus buildings are operable fireplaces.
- Contact your facility manager to determine if a particular fireplace is able to be used.
- Operable fireplaces and chimneys must be inspected and certified annually.
- Operable fireplaces and chimneys must be cleaned on a regular basis.
Using a Fireplace:
- Fireplaces must be attended when in use and until extinguished.
- Make sure the chimney damper is fully open before lighting the fire.
- Make sure you have appropriate fireplace tools for managing the fire.
- Only plain, untreated firewood fires are allowed.
- Flammable liquids may NOT be used at any time.
- Keep the fire to manageable size and within the firebox of the fireplace.
- Keep combustible materials including papers, blankets and decorations away from the fire.
- Keep the fireplace screen in place or the fireplace doors closed when you are not adding wood or stoking the fire.
- Know the location of the nearest available fire extinguisher.
For further information e-mail or call 607-255-8200.