Grill and Cooking Equipment Safety
Barbecue Grills & Other Outdoor Cooking
- Grills and other open-flame cooking equipment may only be used outside and may NOT be set up under any overhang, in a tent, or on any balcony or rooftop.
- Grills and open flame cooking equipment must be set up on level ground at least 6 feet from walkways and 25 feet from buildings.
- Equipment must be set up so smoke from cooking does not enter any buildings.
- Charcoal must be completely extinguished and cold before disposal and must not be dumped onto the ground.
- For grills and barbecues, a minimum of (1) 5 pound ABC extinguisher must be present. To borrow extinguishers, contact Wayne Westmiller at email@example.com or (607) 592-8535. Never remove extinguishers from buildings.
- Portable propane and natural gas tanks must be properly secured to prevent them from tipping over and tanks may not be brought into University buildings.
Applicable City of Ithaca commercial cooking and LPG (propane) permits must be secured before the event begins. Contact the Ithaca Fire Department (607) 272-1234 for more information.
- An Open Burn Permit is NOT required for barbecue grill use.
Indoor Cooking & Food Reheating
- Indoor cooking may only be done in kitchens and kitchenettes.
- Use of deep fryers and other cooking equipment that generates grease-laden vapors is restricted to kitchens equipped with the appropriate ventilation hood & suppression systems.
- Warming equipment used to reheat or keep prepared foods warm may be used in areas other than kitchens, provided that:
- Warming equipment may not be placed in corridors, stairways or exit pathways.
- All equipment must be UL listed. Refer to the EHS Event Management Electrical Safety document for further information on using electrical equipment.
- the Sterno is in commercially manufactured, prepackaged cans
- is used with a chafing dish equipped with a Sterno can holder
- is kept away from combustible items such as napkins, papers & decorations
- care is taken to not spill the Sterno
All cooking and heating appliance shall be used and maintained in strict accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
For further information e-mail or call 607-255-8200.