Event Electrical Safety
- All electrical equipment must be UL listed and in good condition.
- Examine all electrical equipment and cords prior to use for loose connections, frayed wiring, and for cut or damaged insulation.
- Keep electrical equipment and power cords away from heat, water, and oil
- UL listed miniature electric holiday lights and electric rope lights may be used. Light strings must not be run along floors where people may step on them or trip over them.
- Nothing may be attached to sprinkler pipes or other fire protection equipment.
Electrical Power Supply
- Only Cornell Electric Shop personnel are allowed to make connections to electrical panels or wiring.
- The Cornell Electric Shop can be reached by calling Cornell Customer Service at 607-255-5322.
- Generators may be used outside of buildings but must be barricaded, fenced, or otherwise physically separated from the public and must be away from buildings and building air intakes. Gasoline storage must be in a safe outdoor area, away from the public.
- Power strips, extension cords, and outlets must have sufficient capacity for the equipment being used. The wattage rating of the equipment must not exceed the rating of the cords and outlets. Contact the Cornell Electric Shop or Campus Life Facilities at 607-255-0328 for guidance to prevent overloading of outlets.
- Multi-outlet adapters and grounding adapters are NOT allowed.
- Utilize ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) connections when outdoors or in wet or damp areas.
Power and Extension Cords
- Extension cords may only be used for temporary power supply.
- Cords must be in good condition with no loose connections, cut or damaged insulation, frayed wiring, missing prongs, or damaged ends.
- Cords must not be chained together.
- Cords may NOT run through doorways, windows, or walls.
- Cords should be kept out of areas where people will be walking or dancing and must be taped down or otherwise secured to prevent people from tripping.
For further information email email@example.com or call (607) 255-8200.