10.2 Hazardous Waste Pickup Procedures
There are a variety of hazardous wastes that contain mixed Regulated Medical Waste and chemical Hazardous Waste. Follow these procedures to prepare laboratory generated wastes.
Waste Determination Flow Chart
Laboratory Waste Disposal Guide
To have your hazardous waste picked up by EHS, please complete the following procedures:
Place an EHS Hazardous Waste label on each container.
- Labels are available by calling 607-255-8200 or askEHS@cornell.edu.
- Fill out the waste label and list all of the ingredients (no trade names or chemical formulas, please). Do not put a date on the tag until you are ready to dispose of the waste through EHS.
- Peel off the bottom copy and stick it on the waste container.
- Place the waste containers in a DOT compliant box (has a U/N symbol on it). Place the top copy of the waste label inside the box.
- Request a waste pick up by filling out the online request for chemical waste removal.
Boxes are available from:
Bard, Kimball, Thurston waste generators: Contact the Building Coordinator at 607-255-3579. Boxes are stored in room B60A, Bard Hall.
- Biotech/Weill Hall waste generators: Boxes are located in the gas cylinder storage room in the basement between the buildings. Contact the Biotech Building Coordinator at 607-254-4583.
- Clark Hall waste generators: Contact the Building Coordinator, phone 607-255-3524. Boxes are kept in stock room on ground floor.
- Comstock Hall waste generators: Contact the Building Coordinator.
- Corson-Mudd Hall waste generators: Contact the Building Coordinator, phone 607-254-4395.
- Emerson-Bradfield Hall waste generators: Boxes can be obtained from the mail room in G03, Bradfield Hall.
- J.A. Baker waste generators: Boxes are stored in room B18, basement near the elevator.
- Martha Van Rensselaer waste generators: Boxes are stored at the loading dock in the sub-basement.
- Olin Hall: Contact the Building Coordinator, phone 607-255-3540.
- Plant Science waste generators: Contact the Building Coordinator, phone 607-255-7826. Boxes are stored at loading dock.
- Vet College Complex waste generators, including Schurman Hall, Vet Research Tower and Vet Medical Center. Boxes can be obtained from the 1st floor Custodial Supply area - please see staff in the mail room (Vet Medical Center) for access to the storage facility.
The following types of materials have different requirements for disposal:
- Construction debris (such as asbestos and lead)
- CRTs (computer monitors and televisions)
- Radioactive materials
- Scrap electronics (circuit boards)
- Used oils
- Universal Waste (Fluorescent bulbs, batteries)
If you need further information, refer to the Hazardous Waste Manual, or call EHS at 607-255-8200, or send an e-mail to askEHS@cornell.edu.