10.1 Hazardous Chemical Waste Container Requirements
Within your work area, the following practices must be followed for proper management of hazardous waste:
- Determine if your unwanted materials pose a significant risk requiring management as hazardous waste.
- Determine if chemical deactivation or drain disposal is an option.
- Label containers of hazardous chemical wastes with the identity of the chemical(s) AND the words “Hazardous Waste” or label with a Cornell University Hazardous Waste label.
- Keep containers of hazardous chemical wastes closed at all times when they are not in use.
- Store hazardous waste containers within the room in which they are generated in.
- Recommended practices that should be followed:
- Always maintain a neat and orderly workplace.
- Use secondary containment bins or trays to store your chemical waste containers in.
- Store your waste containers in a designated place.
It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator and laboratory supervisor to ensure that personnel working in laboratories under their supervision are familiar with and follow hazardous chemical waste container requirements and have attended EHS Chemical Waste Disposal training.