Hazard Class 2: Compressed Gases
Any material or mixture having in the container an absolute pressure exceeding 40 psi (pounds per square inch) at 70°F, or regardless of the pressure at 70°F, having an absolute pressure exceeding 140 psi at 130°F; or any flammable material having a vapor pressure exceeding 40 psi at 100°F."
Subsets of Class 2 are:
- 2.1 Flammable Gas – Hydrogen Compressed, Ethylene, Butylene, Acetylene, etc.
- 2.2 Non-Flammable Gas – Oxygen Compressed, Nitrogen Compressed, etc.
- 2.3 Poisonous Gas – Phosgene, Sulfur Tetrafluoride, Insecticide Gasses, etc.
Vendor - Airgas is the preferred supplier of compressed gasses at Cornell University. They can deliver and pickup a wide assortment of compressed gasses, they also assist with customers returning cylinders back to certain manufacture's. Airgas can assist with other shipments of compressed gasses on a case by case basis (Airgas).
- Become Trained - All shipments of Class 2 material require the shipper to be trained and certified. EHS certifies all shippers at Cornell. All training whether on-site or by an outside EHS vendor, EHS must review training and issue a certificate of training.
- Contact EHS - EHS has employees trained in the shipping of hazardous material and can ship your material for you (EHS 607-255-8200).