Belt Sander Toolbox Talk
Safe use of powered hand belt sanders
- Wear proper eye and hearing protection, and when required, respiratory protection.
- Disconnect the power supply before changing the sanding belt, making adjustments, or emptying the dust collector.
- Use sanding belts that are the same width as the pulley drum.
- Make sure the sanding belt is installed in the direction indicated on the belt and sander.
- Inspect the sanding belt before using them.
- Replace worn or frayed belts.
- Keep hands away from the sanding belt. Use both hands to operate the sander—one on the trigger switch, and the other on the front knob handle.
- Keep all cords clear of the sanding area during operation.
- Clean dust from the motor and vents at regular intervals.
- Do not exert excessive pressure upon the moving sander.
- Do not use a sander without an exhaust system or dust collector. Empty the collector when ¼ full
- Do not work on unsecured material that can be thrown by belt motion. Secure the material or use a stop block.
Please return the Belt Sander sign-in sheet to Environment, Health and Safety for recordkeeping.