- It is normally unstable and readily undergoes violent change without detonating.
- It reacts violently or forms potentially explosive mixtures with water.
- When mixed with water, it generates toxic gases, vapors or fumes that present a danger to human health or the environment.
- It is a cyanide or sulfide bearing waste that can generate toxic gases vapors or fumes that present a danger to human health or the environment when exposed to pH conditions between 2 and 12.5.
- It can detonate or explode if subjected to a strong initiating source or if heated under confinement.
- It is readily capable of detonation or explosive decomposition or reaction at standard temperature and pressure.
- It is a forbidden explosive as defined in 49 CFR 173.