3.5 Appropriate Storage Practices
Storing chemicals properly promotes safer and healthier working conditions and extends the usefulness of chemicals. Improperly stored chemicals can result in:
- Degraded containers that allow chemicals to become contaminated.
- Degraded containers that can release hazardous vapors that are detrimental to the health of lab workers.
- Degraded containers that can release vapors that can affect the integrity of nearby containers.
- Degraded labels that can result in the generation of unknowns.
- Chemicals becoming unstable and/or potentially explosive.
- Purchasing a chemical that is already in the lab or work area.
More information on chemical storage classes and chemical storage guidelines can be found in the Laboratory Safety Manual and Chemical Hygiene Plan.