Getting Started with HASP System
Completion of HASP is required for all research spaces - HASP signs are required on main doors. For interior smaller rooms that have substantially different hazards than what is posted on the main entrance door, post signs on interior and main doors. Before getting started, you will need to be given authorization for your organization, building, department, and/or specific rooms. To obtain authorization for specific areas, contact askEHS@cornell.edu.
To get started with HASP:
- Enter the HASP system here:
- If you have not used HASP before for a specific building, then you will need to search for your facility first using Alpha List, Keyword Search, Facility Code, or Map Search. Once you have entered data in for a room in a building, then that building will show up in "My Locations" any time you log back into the system.
- Click on "My Locations" - these are the areas you have authorization for HASP. If you are unable to locate your building(s) in "My Locations", try clicking on "refresh list". If you still don't see your facility, then do a search for your facility (see #2). If you still experience problems, then please contact askEHS@cornell.edu.
- Select the building and the specific room you would like to use for HASP.
- Click on the "Roster" tab and add primary, secondary, and/or tertiary contacts to the Room Roster - these are the contacts that will show up on the door sign. This can be accomplished by entering in a netID and then clicking the "Add" button and selecting primary or secondary. To add "off-hours contact" phone number, click on the pencil icon, enter the phone number and click save. If the name currently listed "in" is incorrect, then click on the trash can icon to delete after you have entered another primary contact.
- After the primary, secondary, and/or tertiary contacts have been entered, then enter the rest of the net IDs of the people who will be working in the room. You do not need to select any of the radio buttons to add them. Once all names needed for the room roster are complete, then click on "Hazard Inventory" to begin a hazard assessment. Please note, you should ensure your Workday information (contact information, work address and phone number) is correct - visit the Workday webpage.
- In "Hazard Inventory", scroll down the list and select all that apply. If none of the hazard sources apply, then select "Zero Sources" at the bottom of the page. After all hazard sources have been selected, then click "Save" to move to the risk assessment.
- To complete the risk assessment, use the drop down menu to select risk levels for each hazard source. For help in choosing the appropriate risk level, click on the hazard source name for risk level definitions. After risk levels have been assigned to all hazard sources, then click "Save" to move to access notices. If all of the risk levels are not filled in, then it will not save.
- To complete access notices, select all that apply or create a custom access notice by entering text in the "Other Access Notices" box. After access notices have been selected, then click "Save" to move warnings.
- To complete warnings, select all that apply or create a custom warning by entering text in the "Other warnings" box. After warnings have been selected, then click "Save" to move to emergency response.
- To complete emergency response, select all that apply or create a custom warning by entering text in the "Other emergency response" box. After emergency response have been selected, then click "Save" to review all selections.
- If any changes need to be made to selections, then on the left hand menu, select the item where changes need to be made (Hazard Inventory, Risk Assessment, Access Notices, etc.), and make any changes and click on "Save". To see all selections, go to "Emergency Response" and click on "Save". To preview the actual sign, click on either "Door Sign" (8.5x11) or (5x7).
- After clicking on "Door Sign" and size, a separate window will open to view a PDF of the HASP sign. If everything on the sign is correct, then print the sign. If any information needs to be changed, then close the window and use the left hand menu to navigate to the items that need to be changed.
- If there are other comments you would like to include for any hazard, such as the name of the biological agent being used, the location of shut off switches, or other emergency response information that you would like in the database, but not to be shown on the sign, then click on the Comments tab on the top menu, select the category you would like to add specific comments and then click Add. Please note, this comment will not be shown on the sign and cannot be viewed publicly - it is meant to be additional information for HASP administrators and emergency response personnel.
- The following are error messages that will prevent a HASP PDF from being printed and how to fix them:
- Error: Risk(s) not assessed after sources(s) were added Solution: Go back to Risk Assessment and complete for each of the hazards chosen and the "save". If the hazards listed are no longer applicable, then go back to Hazard Inventory and uncheck the boxes of the hazard sources that no longer apply and then "save".
- Error: Impact(s) were not updated after new sources(s) were saved Solution: Go back to Risk assessment and select risk levels and then "save".
- Error: There are no sources in the location. Solution: Go back to Hazard Inventory and select hazard sources or select Zero sources and "save".
- Error: No primary contact has been entered. Solution: Go to the Roster button on the top menu and add a primary contact.
If you have any questions or encounter errors please contact askEHS@cornell.edu.