Skip to main content

7.18 Household Hazardous Waste

Cornell University cannot accept household hazardous waste for disposal. However, most local communities and/or counties have programs for collection of household hazardous waste. Typical wastes accepted (not all are listed here) include:

  • Adhesives, coatings, and sealers
  • Auto fluids and oil filters
  • Cleaners and aerosols 
  • Concrete and driveway sealants 
  • Fluorescent bulbs 
  • Household batteries 
  • Paints and solvents 
  • Pesticides and fertilizers 
  • Photographic, pool, and lab chemicals 
  • Various electronics, computers, phones, etc. 
  • Varnishes, shellacs, and stains

Many of these programs are free of charge but residency for that locality or county is normally required. Please check the following online sites to see if and when a Household Hazardous Waste Program is available for your area.