16.12 Glass Under Vacuum
Some general guidelines for glass under vacuum include:
- Inspect glassware that will be used for reduced pressure to make sure there are no defects such as chips or cracks that may compromise its integrity.
- Only glassware that is approved for low pressure should be used. Never use a flat bottom flask (unless it is a heavy walled filter flask) or other thin walled flask that are not appropriate to handle low pressure.
- Use a shield between the user and any glass under vacuum or wrap the glass with tape to contain any glass in the event of an implosion.
- Cold traps should be used to prevent pump oil from being contaminated which can create a hazardous waste.
- Pump exhaust should be vented into a hood when possible.
- Ensure all belts and other moving parts are properly guarded.
- Whenever working on or servicing vacuum pumps, be sure to follow appropriate lock-out procedures.