16.9.1 Centrifuge Rotor Care
Basic centrifuge rotor care includes:
- Keep the rotor clean and dry, to prevent corrosion.
- Remove adapters after use and inspect for corrosion.
- Store the rotor upside down, in a warm, dry place to prevent condensation in the tubes.
- Read and follow the recommendations in the manual regarding:
- Regular cleaning
- Routine inspection
- Regular polishing
- Lubricating O-rings
- Decontaminating the rotor after use with radioactive or biological materials
- Remove any rotor from use that has been dropped or shows any sign of defect, and report it to a manufacturer’s representative for inspection.
There is a description of an accident that occurred at Cornell and how to prevent centrifuge accidents on the Centrifuge Accident webpage.