Skip to main content

8.5 Dangerous When Wet

Dangerous when wet compounds react violently with water to form toxic vapors and/or flammable gases that can ignite and cause a fire.

Please note: attempting to put out a fire involving dangerous when wet materials with water will only make the situation worse. Special “Class D” fire extinguishers are required for use with dangerous when wet compounds. Common examples include sodium metal and potassium metal.

It is important to note that any paper toweling, gloves, etc., that have come into contact with these materials need to be quenched with water before disposing of in metal trash cans in order to prevent potential fires.

If you are using dangerous when wet compounds and do not have a Class D fire extinguisher present, then please contact EHS at 607-255-8200 for more assistance.